Monday, March 26, 2012
I made this shirt, which is version D of McCalls M6436, a couple of weeks ago but just haven't made the time to post about it.
It's made in Liberty Tana Lawn, Pamela Judith, in the brown colourway. I love it.
I chose wooden buttons, which I'm really pleased with, and I've worn it a few times now and it feels great to wear. Liberty lawn is so light and airy and very well suited to shirts and blouses.
The fit on this is quite relaxed; it's not terribly fitted. Having said that, it still looks fitted enough when it's tucked in. Good grief, it's long, though! I know I'm only 5ft 2 but this is almost a dress on me. I think I may shorten the next, sleeveless, version I make.
I've discovered I really like making shirts. I liked using the sew-in interfacing, and I enjoyed all the slipstitching by hand, on the collar, cuffs and button bands. Also, I've found I like making buttonholes and even sewing on buttons. I find this hand finishing very satisfying (though I do the buttonholes by machine - I'm not completely insane). I french seamed the whole thing, except for the armhole seams, which I "overlocked" on my sewing machine.
Next I will make a short sleeved, pocketed version in the blue colourway. And I want to make a more fitted shirt after that, possibly Vogue 8772, which I already have the pattern for.
I have made a dress over the weekend, and it just needs hemming and I want to topstitch through the shell and lining around the armholes, by hand. I'll post it in the next few days, hopefully.