Thursday, July 26, 2012

Colette Macaron

At last, here are the photos of my Colette Macaron.  I had seen so many versions of this in Blogland, I had to give in and make one of my own.  Most fabulously the fabric I used, a medium weight black cotton lawn and some (polycotton, I think) black and white gingham, had been in my stash for around three years.

I really enjoyed making this dress.  There was nothing tricky about it; it just all came together nicely.  I especially like that the sleeves are in a double layer, folded over so you don't have to hem them.  It gives them some extra body too.
Apart from taking a bit in at the shoulders and the front of the bodice when sewing the sleeve in, I didn't have to make any alterations.  I think I should have made the upper bodice (the black bit) in a size smaller than the lower bodice, then I wouldn't have had to do the alterations.
I finished all the vertical seams by folding and sewing each seam allowance back on itself (I don't know what it's called), and I just oversewed the waistband seams.  The hem, I stitched nicely by hand, to make it invisible.  My invisible zip went in perfectly - cool!
I was mindful of the fact that the gingham squares might not line up if I wasn't careful but, apart from one little bit where the skirt meets the waistband, they all did.  Of course, I unpicked the bit that didn't, and adjusted it.  Now, all the squares are balanced, even on the hem, which curves.  Yay!

I enjoy wearing this dress so much, I am already planning another, this time with some crazy print for the main fabric, but repeating the black on top.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

McCalls M6436 View D in Liberty Lawn "Landis"

P7220474 P7210442a
I've had this fabric for some time now. I had only 1.5m of it as I had planned to make a shortish shift dress. However, lately I've been realising that, though I like making my dresses, I do find shirts very versatile as they can be worn with skirts, trousers, shorts, jeans, whatever, and this had enticed me to ditch my dress plans and make another shirt.

So, again I made up version D of McCalls M6436, as it's quite a slouchy cut, and looks really great with almost anything. I wore it yesterday, and took photos before dashing out. I think it looks just about okay with this skirt but, in hindsight, I don't like the skirt much and probably wouldn't wear this combo again.

For this pattern I use a sew-in interfacing and it works well. It's no hassle. There is quite a bit of hand-sewing on this shirt, as the insides of the collar stand, the cuffs and the button bands all need slip stitching, but I really enjoy this. I also much prefer making buttonholes (by machine!) and sewing on buttons by hand, to inserting zips. I don't mind zips, but I actually enjoy buttons and buttonholes!

For this shirt I chose to sew the seams in white but to use bright pink for the topstitching and buttonholes, and pink buttons (obviously).

Gosh, I love this shirt! And Liberty Lawn!
I have made a Kwiksew shirt for Charlie, which he wore to a family christening, and I intend to blog it as soon as I can. Also, I am wearing my Macaron (I already have some brilliant fabric for another!) when we go out later today, so will try to get a photo of that in action!

The coral bodice hasn't progressed, as I'm feeling lacklustre about it now that it's a bit sunnier here (it's a cold-weather dress). Same with the crazy pleated trousers. I still want to make them but they will wait.

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Colette Macaron, Vogue 8295 and Charlie's Fancy Stitches

This is a quick catch-up post. I will blog proper pics and the details for both projects individually, when I can.

I have been busy with lots of things these last couple of weeks: work (from home), sewing, and school-related things, too. Oh, and Rock Choir. I have my first concert tonight. Yikes!

First off, I made a silk skirt in a striped silk dupion. I was so happy with it. Was. I kept staring at it on the hanger, thinking I would make more of them, but when I wore it, something about it didn't feel right.
I think it's the length. I purposely kept it long but now I'm not sure it's right for this skirt in this fabric, so I'm going to shorten it to just above the knee. Thing is, I have quite a queue of things that must be done beforehand, sewing-wise.I have a shell of a Cambie dress that has been ready for weeks and weeks, but it needs the whole lining making up, and attaching. I have to make a Liberty lawn shirt for my little boy in the next week, as he wants to help me make it and wear it to a christening next weekend. He has become in awe of my sewing machine (he's eight), and spent about two hours on it last Saturday, doing fancy stitches (see above).

I have also made a Macaron dress. I LOVE it. Really, I wasn't sure it would suit me but I think right now it's my favourite dress out of all the ones I have made. Again, I will blog the details separately when I get more time.
I have so so so many things I want to make, and several things on the go. I feel it's reached fever pitch! I am obsessed and I don't have anywhere near enough time to give all these things my attention. I have a bodice for Vogue 8413:
I have cut out numerous patterns, which seems to have become a hobby in itself. One of them is Vogue 1307, which nobody else in the universe seems to have blogged about, and which I'm determined to make work for me. 
I have this brushed rayon/wool paisley with a great drape to it, which would be fab for winter. I'm not sure whether these trousers (if they actually fit, even) would look cool or clownish! We'll see.

Well, that is the update. I must go now, as I have to leave soon, for the theatre. Wish me luck. Though I am on stage with many other people, I'm feeling quite nervous, although I'm excited and very much looking forward to it.

 I will be back at some point with details on the Macaron and Vogue 8295 silk skirt.