Thursday, July 26, 2012
At last, here are the photos of my Colette Macaron. I had seen so many versions of this in Blogland, I had to give in and make one of my own. Most fabulously the fabric I used, a medium weight black cotton lawn and some (polycotton, I think) black and white gingham, had been in my stash for around three years.
I really enjoyed making this dress. There was nothing tricky about it; it just all came together nicely. I especially like that the sleeves are in a double layer, folded over so you don't have to hem them. It gives them some extra body too.
Apart from taking a bit in at the shoulders and the front of the bodice when sewing the sleeve in, I didn't have to make any alterations. I think I should have made the upper bodice (the black bit) in a size smaller than the lower bodice, then I wouldn't have had to do the alterations.
I finished all the vertical seams by folding and sewing each seam allowance back on itself (I don't know what it's called), and I just oversewed the waistband seams. The hem, I stitched nicely by hand, to make it invisible. My invisible zip went in perfectly - cool!
I was mindful of the fact that the gingham squares might not line up if I wasn't careful but, apart from one little bit where the skirt meets the waistband, they all did. Of course, I unpicked the bit that didn't, and adjusted it. Now, all the squares are balanced, even on the hem, which curves. Yay!
I enjoy wearing this dress so much, I am already planning another, this time with some crazy print for the main fabric, but repeating the black on top.