Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Inspiration with Sailor Rose, Liberty Lawn and McCalls 6959

sailor-rose-wrap-dress-liberty-of-london-constellation-print-3
Photo belongs to Sailor Rose
Hi everyone!  I haven't been around for ages;  there just doesn't seem to have been enough time in the days for sewing as well as everything else, so I haven't sewn for ages, hence the blogging absence.  Exercising regularly and walking my doggie twice a day (long walks) seems to have filled in the sewing gaps.  However...

...the other day I happened to be looking at something-or-other online (as one does) and, heaven knows how, but I came across something almost totally unrelated to my original quest (as always seems to happen!) and suddenly felt the urgent need to create.  Maybe I just needed something to kickstart my sewing mojo again.  After all, most of us don't have the time to sew, but we make the time (same with exercise!)

The "something" was the above dress.  Now I remember, I'd been looking for the fabric, which is Kevin B by Liberty, and came across it in the form of this dress, which is by an American company called Sailor Rose (link above), so of course I wanted the dress and not just the fabric.  Looked at the price for the dress: $280!  I'm sure it's very nice, but: 1. I just don't have $280 for a dress and 2. um...did I mention the price?!

Searched for a wrap dress pattern that was for wovens (most are for knits), and came up with:


P7294930


Only thing is, to make the dress with the fuller skirt (although it is a bit too full for my liking anyway) would mean around 4m of Liberty lawn...too expensive.  But with the straight skirt, even allowing extra fabric for mods to the ties (will explain) only approx. 1.8m is required.  Yay!!  So I'm going for view D but adding a collar to it. I don't usually go for straight skirts as, although I like the style, I find wearing them too restricting and uncomfortable.  I'm thinking that in this case the  skirt will have extra ease, due to the excess fabric in the wrap.

As for the ties, the pattern has the dress secured on the inside, with hidden ties (although there is the option of a separate belt), but I think it would be better to thread the innermost tie through a side opening and have the whole thing tie around the waist on the outside.  If I don't have some definition in the waist I'll look like a sack.

So it looks as though I can recreate the Sailor Rose dress at a fraction of the cost though - trust me on this one - if I had the money I'd just buy it!!  For now I'm making it up in the brown colourway of Liberty Strawberry Thief, but I have some Kevin B (otherwise known as "constellations") on the way.  Whether I'll use it for another of these depends on how this one goes.


P7294929

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information specially the closing part :) I maintain such information much. I was previously seeking this specific information for a extended time. Thank you and best of luck. my sites:robes filles

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are looking faboulus fashion sense and everything else that caught the attention of big brands in no time. She had a substantial social media presence even before she turned into a fashion blogger. Tami wanted to do something concrete, and that’s how it all started. From being a red-carpet consultant to an entrepreneur, Tami Reed is a go-getter! For more inspiration and to stay updated with everything big happening in Hollywood or otherwise when it comes to fashion, check her blogdelta extranet landing bedoper's guide

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fashion blogger with a passion for people, art, culture, and music brings all of it together. Wendy wears a lot of hats; she is a blogger, content creator, and a juvenile justice advocate who is just as passionately working towards helping foster children, because she understands the struggle, for she has been one. From moving foster homes to graduating from travelnet delta extranet landing page bedoper's guide, Berkeley in Psychology, to being an influencer, she is indeed an inspiration. She believes that you can rope it all together and make fashion statements that replicate it all. Check her blog for some much-needed inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am browsing this site daily and get nice facts from here all the time.

    ReplyDelete