Monday, January 13, 2014

Butterick 5526 with McCalls 6035 Sleeve in Liberty Branchflower - orange colourway


P1134108
I have made two shirts in the last week, both in Liberty lawn because I just love working with it and wearing it; it's lightweight but closely woven (which makes it seem somewhat silky), the designs are beautiful and it's very easy to iron.

In the past I've made several M6436s and I love that pattern for a semi-fitted shirt, but I was looking for a more fitted shirt on this occasion.  I didn't, however, want it too fitted so I chose Butterick B5526, which seemed just perfect.  I wanted a shirt (I suppose this is really a blouse) with short sleeves this time, but there wasn't an option for that in the pattern so I took the short, slightly puffy, sleeves fromMcCalls M6035.  Maybe I shouldn't have been, but I was surprised to find that the frill on the front is a circular ruffle, and not a pleated strip as it seems to appear in the pattern cover illustration.
P1134112
I made a quick muslin and immediately realised that the bust apex of the princess seams fell too low, but cutting an 8 at the shoulders (and a 10 everywhere else) remedied this perfectly.  I made no other adjustments.  Oh, actually I did cut out four ruffles and sewed each pair together and turned them inside out instead of cutting just two and narrow hemming them.

P1134111 
I have discovered that shirts and blouses are definitely my favourite things to make, especially since I have started using woven interfacing, which actually feels like part of the fabric instead of something stiff and separate.  I love the hand sewing, the precision required when attaching all the pieces, and the way it all comes together to be a wearable work of art!  Also, it means I can wear my jeans but still wear my home made stuff (well, I could wear my jeans if I could fit comfortably into them, ahem).  I have turned forty-eight today, so I'd better get cracking back on my health and fitness regime before it's too late for EVER, hehe!
P1134100
As I mentioned, I have made another shirt (another McCalls M6436) and I will post it soon.

15 comments:

  1. I really like the fabric you have chosen and the style really works with that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I love this fabric too. It's subtle yet interesting.

      Delete
  2. You are 48? You must tell us what you are using!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called "not choosing the photos that make me look at least a hundred!" Hehe!

      Delete
  3. Happy belated Birthday!!!!
    The blouse is so pretty. I wouldn´t know what to make with some Liberty fabric...it scares me a lot, as expensive as it is. But looking at your blouse makes me want to buy some and use it!!
    The front frills are so girly and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merche!

      I feel the same with my Liberty fabric if it's a pattern that's new to me. I always make a muslin to test first. That's why you will often see me making my tried and tested patterns.

      I kept the frills because I wanted this one to be less masculine than my other shirts. It worked!

      Delete
  4. You are NEVER 48! Those are great colours on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I adore Liberty lawn, I ogle and pet it in shops but I could never afford it, at least not while I'm in college!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! You look beautiful and the blouse is as beautiful as you look! I love my Liberty -- I wish I only had Liberty fabric......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, happy belated birthday! Liberty suits you, and I love both your blouses. The prints are amaaaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy belated birthday. 48? Surely not! Hope you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely blouse! By "woven interfacing" do you mean one that you sew in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woven interfacing can be either sew-in or iron-on. By 'woven' I mean the interfacing is like a woven piece of fabric as opposed to a papery or 'felted' type. Woven is better in my opinion! But it's quite a bit more expensive to buy.

      Delete