Happy new year to everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.
This is my Christmas dress this time around. McCalls M6833 view B. I made it with something that I assume is quilting cotton. I would never use quilting cotton for a shirt, but for a dress such as this one, it's perfect as it has enough body to hold its shape a bit.
So that the hem had a little more oomph I sewed some horsehair braid onto it. It did the trick! This pattern has an integral net petticoat as part of the dress lining itself. As I wanted the option to use the petticoat with other garments I chose to line only the top part of the dress and make the petticoat separately, which worked really well.
As usual I hand sewed the zip in, as I like a bit more control over matching the waist seams and making sure the back neck edges match, which I find a little more difficult when machining the zip in.
I love all the hand sewing! I find inserting the zip and then hand sewing the lining to it very satisfying.
I will definitely be making view D in the future. I already have the fabric:
There is only one thing I will change for the next version and that is that the neckline will have to be higher. I'm not a particularly modest dresser but this neckline is about as low as it gets. In all of the rest of my Christmas photos my underwear is clearly on show! That's okay for a party dress but I intend for my next version to be more wearable.